Thursday, October 01, 2009

Worrying Husband - 09282009

Yesterday, i was able to call my wife - she is safe and staying in the hospital. She saw what happened to us in TV, and decided that it's too risky to go ahead and go home. When she heard Caitlin's voice, Kristine cried. And at that moment, the line worsened (this time Globe was able to connect, but the line was out of whack). I tried calling again, but failed. But I was glad that she's in the hospital. That made my day.

The water is gone when I woke up, but traces of mud can still be seen as expected. The road is deserted. I got to the office at 630m, I simply took the jeep. There was a bit of heavy traffic near the entrance of De Castro (severely hit by the flood). Also, the foot of the Ortigas bridge were made as evac centers; lots of government vehicles were parked on the bridge, allowing only 1 lane per direction. The evac tents provided by the local government seemed to be deserted; there were a couple of people inside, but I don't see it as your typical evac center.

I brought our cellphones and chargers, just in case the situation worsens. At least we have available communication (SMART only) if this happens. I brought my office clothes since we ran out of water and the office has this expensive bathroom.

After taking a bath, I called my wife. I decided not to call her when I got to the office since I knew she's safe and I don't want to wake her up. It was just a relief that the whole family is totally safe. I am also glad that she's a doc and she can stay in the hospital.

Kristine met me at Shopwise late in the morning - we bought some supplies for the rest of the week. Luckily, my boss advised me to go to ShopWise first thing in the morning since there is panic buying since Sunday. True enough, I wasn't able to grab water for my kid; the buyers were both affected by the typhoons and those helping out the victims (buying boxes of instant mami and canned goods). It took us 2.5 hours waiting for our turn to pay for the goods!

I wasn't able to get back to the office due to the heavy traffic caused by the rescue vehicles on the De Castro area. The F. LEgazpi Street is also closed due to high water level. The normal cab fee of PHP100 per trip to our place became PHP300 - the cab driver have to go around Taytay, if he doesn't want to wait on the heavy traffic.

Whatever resentment I have yesterday, I am taking it back.... Life...

No comments: