Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Typhoon Journal - 09272009

0636H
Caitlin woke up before we did. When I woke up, she was just rolling all around, I guess, waiting for us to wake up. When I sat down, she started calling my name and her tita (Lea).

Last night, every now and then I would check the water level. But around 9pm, the water level stabilized; my reference point was the plant infront of the building on the opposite side.

Our main challenge is that all of us don't have enough battery charge and only Smart has signal; Globe's is completely out of service (their cellsite might be the one just outside our compound - it's power supply is completely submerged last night.


0751H
I just got back from checking the status of my car - based on my estimate, the water might have reached the engine but not the computer box; if this is not the case, I am sure that the flooring is all wet. The car park is relatively higher than where our unit is standing. Furthermore, the fence in the parking space was washed out.

I also took some pictures. I spent around 45 minutes talking to the same person I met last night. Apparently, he's quite experienced about this situation; he grew up in Quezon, specifically Pollillo Is.

I also checked the other side of the compound, now I could see the roof of the Alto that I was checking yesterday - the roof is barely visible under the water.

One scene is the garbage (originally thrown in a water pit just outside our compound) surrounding the house, trying to get in, just like in TV about Manila's garbage problem.

I am sure the developer didn't anticipate this situation. I mean their power generator stopped earlier yesterday due to the rising water level. Oh well, this is a problem of yesteryears, I would say and it can happen again.

I pity those that are in the ground floor units. One resident told us this morning that there are only 2 of them, both ladies. They were only able to carry legal documents, otherwise, the rest were left to nature.

Time to save some water, I am not sure when the power will be back. The water may not recede until end of the day, looking at the progress. Besides, our building seems to be the lowest point of the compound and the power lines are buried on the ground.


0945H
People were shouting outside claiming that the sighted snake near the fence has been caught. From what we heard downstairs, there 2 sightings - 1 near our building (we are near the fence) and near the club house.


These people are personnel from the admin, trying to enjoy whatever is there around them. Not noticing that the water is highly polluted. This is just infront of the clubhouse.

I went out again to check the water level in the parking space, it is receding on a slow pace. But the flooring of the 626 is a bit above the water level; but I am sure inside the car is flooded. The CRVs and the other non-American SUVs were no match for the flood! But that gave me more reason that if ever I purchase a SUV, the clearance should be increased (my 626 has extra clearance due to higher humps and deeper potholes in where I lived before).


Figure 3. The black car (Mazda 626, 1994 Model), partly covered
by the crane, is my car. You can see that the water reached the
flooring level.


Figure 6. This was taken in the next day. But the highest water level I've seen, it reached the spokes of the spare tire.
The good thing is that it's sunny.

I also saw 2 people wading in the water (nearby the construction site); while a flow of, most probably, fuel or oil (if I am wrong, I am sure it's not water since it reflects rainbow color agains the sun light) from their right side crossing the stream. One of them, a lady looks like a mestiza, sporting a contemporary designed sunglasses with a leather-like lady bag (and she was wearing a pair shorts) leisurely wade on the water and seemed to be talking to her companion. In my perspective, she's a candidate for an infection or allergy of some sort since it was the second time i've seen her wading.

And this is why I discouraged the maid to go out for a cellphone recharge (all of our phones are dead, just enough time to inform Kristine that everything is alright except for Caitlin's milk that is running low).

The nanny decided to delute Caitlin's milk - it worked. But it's just a matter of time that the milk runs out completely. Hopefully, by then the water has receded enough for us not to get wet. I am planning that when the water level reaches knee-deep (relative to the road level infront of our building and not on the sidewalk level), I will check my car if it starts (I hope so since my worst experience with flood was when we were almost floating near the Kalentong area and waves from the trucks would push us to the gutter).

I am surprised how people (most probably haven't seen devastation from typhoon first hand) reacted. But then again, I lived thru hundreds of typhoons in our province. But one thing that I noticed today, everyone is smiling at me when we meet somewhere in the building - normally, ma at pa kami dito. The condo personnel who collects garbage every morning still did their chores and greeted me "good morning".

Behind the chaos, order are still being observed by some.


1649H
Lea cooked the remaining pancake powder. Caitlin had peanuts for snacks. I had to take the saucer full of peanuts away from her since she wouldn't stop.

I checked the car 30 minutes ago (the water is knee-deep when I went to the parking space), aside from the soaked interior, the engine started just fine. I waited for 3 minutes before I turned it off. But the interior is full of mud! I guess it's time for a full detailing service that I've been planning for the last 2 years.

The ground floor is all messed up with mud everywhere. It will take a day to fully clean the ground floor, not counting those that are damaged by the water in each unit.
The maid just came back from the market - they can't find milk from what I heard from the distance. They are just talking with my sister sharing their experience. I am not sure if Lactum would work with Caitlin.

We are also running out utility water. Our drinking supply is still enough until tomorrow or after.

If the situation doesn't get better tomorrow, I will bring my kid to Sun Valley and report to the office afterwards.


Figure 5. Here's the water level around 9pm on September 26. This is infront of our loft.

Note: For more pictures of the event, you can visit this public site.

No comments: