Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Typhoon Journal - 09262009/1830H

I still have 3 hours and 20 minutes in my laptop battery, but otherwise, the whole residential compound is out of power since an hour ago.

Since this early morning, the rain is non-stop. The rain was pretty bad with strong winds, especially this morning. Now, it's just drizzling but the water in the compound is still rising. The last time I checked (luckily, I bought new batteries for the flashlight) 10 minutes ago, it's getting worse and it's getting inside the main entrance of the building infront of us.

This morning, I decided to bring my wife to Eastwood; from there, she can take a cab. It was raining hard; and it was one of the rarest moment that I had to set my wiper speed to the maximum. I only found out later when I got back that Manila was under Typhoon Signal No. 1 based on the feedback of the maids who bought came from the Taytay Market. I took it as "one of those days".

Figure 1 - The encircled portion is the water level around 930am.

After lunch, I took a nap and when I woke up I checked the window (out of habit). There it was, the water level was almost knee deep. I thought, "it's not that bad". Then after 30 minutes or so, I checked again, the level was rising. My kid saw it, too, and she went to her cabinet to look for her swimsuit (it took my sister a few minutes to calm Caitlin down when she was told that she couldn't swim in the water).

Figure 2. This was taken at 356PM. The sidewalks are covered by water.

Around 4pm, I decided to check the status of my own car (can be seen from the end of the building), it was okay. The parking space wasn't flooded, and the rising water was still outside the perimiter of the parking space. I checked again 30 minutes after, 1/4 of the parking space (near the main entrance) was already flooded. By this time, I decided to check the other side of the compound - there it was, the water level was chest-deep. One car was under and the roof can be seen. I could see people transferring TV from one house to another. Lea, the nanny and Caitlin joined me after I told them about it. I took some pictures. On the far left (near the riverside), I saw that several houses were already under and only roofs can be seen.

My thought was, the water came from the mountains. And since subdivisions are popping out like daisies, I suspect that natural tributaries have been buried without any alternative route for water to flow to the river (in this case, it goes to Laguna de Bay).

















Figure 4. This is infront of the club house. Those 3 cars have a single owner. From what I gathered, the owner rented 4 business areas to get 4 parking spaces (1 car is missing).



This is the first time I've seen a flashflood. I grew up in the province wherein typhoon is a part of our lives. But I've never seen such flood before (but in this place, I won't be surprised that it's a normal occurence).

Tin also sent me SMS informing me that, around early afternoon, Santolan was flooded and rubber boats were being deployed. Oh, it took her 5 hours to get to the hospital; the cab she took conked out somewhere near the TB Center. So she ended up taking a pedicab. By the time she came to the hospital, she was soaking wet since the pedicab has a lower clearance.

As of this writing, Sun and Globe signals were spotty. Globe signal was spotty early on (I already complained this in the office admin) today, I wasn't surprised.

I still have 2 hours and 50 minutes in my laptop. I will file another entry later tonight.

Figure 4. This is the cluster infront of the club house.

Note: For more pictures of the event, you can visit this public site.


No comments: