Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Family Affair - Sta. Cruz Speaking Engagement

On September 5, I delivered a workshop to SELCHA, a catholic ministry under Sta. Cruz Parish.

The participants came from all walks of life, including senior citizens. At first it was intimidating, considering that fact that most of the participants have more wisdom than I have.

This didn't start this month, it all went back as 5 years ago before Tito Arnel left for Canada. I was just starting my management career then. We were discussing the possibility of delivering social-changing topics (he did it a couple of times when he was assigned in Bicol). Both of us shared nationalistic principles, and we just like to discuss such possibilities over a couple of San Miguel Draft pitchers in Shakey's (most of the time in Malate branch, facing the old Aristocrat resto) and a basket of fried chicken. I guess it starts with possibilities and belief that it can be done...

Earlier this year, we discussed about running a public workshop for their parishioner, which I was very open to. However, due to some changes on priorities he asked me if I could deliver a workshop for the local catholic ministry; wherein, some members are familiar to me since I would drive my uncle around, visiting her former parishioners. And I am glad to meet them again.

Two weeks before the said workshop, I reviewed the result of their own workshop and realized that they are facing the same issues what a normal organization will face - growth pains. I realized that whatever we deliver in our own corporate organization, would also help them. It all starts with self-mastery.

I had to adjust my approach, e.g. I shouldn't be technical in nature, have to adapt to their salutations ("sister", "brother"), pray when the church bells rang at exactly lunch time, etc. But their energy amazed me and it was contagious! I shared with them the Left-Hand Column, VDM and the Levels of Perspective. And they raised the same challenges that I also raised when first time I heard these stuff from our founder.

One thing that caught my mind when trying to review my notes the night before, I realized that church organization and the BPO industry, are on the same industry - service industry. And when I was sharing my thought to them, I told them that the difference is that we are in customer-service industry, catholic or christian organizations are servicing the souls. Some got my point and gave me a smile.

I introduced them to World-Cafe, especially in getting feedback from large no. of people. I also introduced them to the Check-In. There such high number of similarities in feedback that I was able to gain my trainer-confidence; I was really expecting the worst that somebody might disagree with the principle (I mean, how do you disagree with a person who walked in this world for the last 60 years, while I am still trying to prove myself??).

On the last part, Visual-Deployment Matrix, I wasn't able to have them do their organization's VDM. However, we discussed some situations and how VDM can help them. Most of the questions were about expectations settings, effective communication and the likes.

During my last leg of my presentation, I was already short of breath for some reason. I was a bit dizzy and one participant offered me a bottle of water, to my relief.

Every question they raised and I tried to answer, I would ask confirmation if I was able to answer it. Luckily, I was able to. I also felt the energy that they showed; I just felt passionate when delivering the workshop (afterwards, I felt that my knees are going to fall apart).

It was ironical because I still remember Tito Arnel challenging me to find his bag of coins when I would visit them during summer when I was still a kid. But now, it's totally different. Must be part of growing old....

The best part of the workshop, it was a family affair - I brought Kristine and Caitlin with me. Caitlin was relatively behaved, except for the fact that it was a bit warm inside the room - but when she's out, she liked to run after the cats. I was also very proud that I was able to introduce Kristine around (I realized how long it was the last time I saw some of those familiar people, I was stillsingle then when they last met me!). During breaktime, Kristine would give me some pointers as well (apparently, most of my examples at the very beginning were all about from corporate experiences).
I still have another session to run... And I am looking forward to it... And even if it won't push through, I am still glad that I was able to have such experience. It was totally different!

No comments: