Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Typhoon Journal - 09262009/1943H

I just got back from outside our unit - the water level is still rising fast! Some of the unit owners from the ground floor are all over the staircase with their appliances or whatever they can save from the rising water level.

I checked the situation of the parking lot, the plate numbers of the cars can still be seen from the 4th floor. What caught my attention was the MB200 parked on the opposite row of where my car is parked on; I estimate that the water level is almost the same level of the flooring. I met one of the residents and we started talking of the nearby areas - we shared the same conclusion that the water must be coming from the mountains nearby (you can see the Antipolo area still lighted).

He also told me that some residents who have their parking slots infront of the building parked their car near the main entrance of the compound. However, the guy that I talked to wasn't able to start his car and decided to leave it to nature. I left with a heavy heart, I am not confident that my car would be lucky not to go under the water. I am still hoping thought that the engine won't go under (I don't care about the car interior), especially the computer box.

One CRV parked near the construction site is half-submerged with the water level reaching its spare tire at the back. How bad, the water level infront of the club house was already chest deep when I got there.

I checked again the other side of our building where the last time I saw an Isuzu Alto, I could still see the roof. Now it's gone! I compared it with some reference points, like the jeepney on another corner, it's sure is gone down under!

I pity those residents who evac from their ground floor units. I am pretty sure they bought their units thinking that it can be a better life for them. But here they are, staying on the stair case waiting for the weather to get better. It could happen to us also.

The last time I checked the water level infront of our building (before I got in our unit), it's approx. 4 feet from the road level. I almost panicked because I thought it was the 2nd level of the ground-floor unit; I realized I got down 1 level lower than ours. Whew!

When I got back, Caitlin has her normal tantrum when she's not staying on an airconditioned room. Luckily, my sister has all the patience in the world to put up with her.

The rain is also getting stronger...


The Suzuki Alto (far right) will be totally under water before the sun sets.


This scene is quite familiar around Saturday afternoon. On the far left of the picture shows (albeit vaguely) the roofs of the submerged houses. In the evening of the 26th9, the roof the jeep (on the lower right) can be barely seen.

No comments: