Tuesday, December 15, 2009

[Caitlin In the Airport]

Last year, she traveled with her mom. Tin didn't realize how much distance she had to cover while carrying Caitlin - she never realized that NAIA Terminal 3 is no comparison with Manila Domestic Airport. Admittingly, it was a lapse on my side since I thought it would be easy for her, forgetting that she's way smaller than me and she had to carry a lot of kids' stuff.

So this time that I was traveling with Caitlin, with no nanny in tow, I ensured that all the bags could be hanged on my neck or my shoulders, while I could hold or carry Caitlin on my arms. I was also banking on the fact that Caitlin doesn't lose her temper due to lack of sleep (she stayed awake until midnight, playing with her great grandmothers and her Tita Karen).

My dad took us to NAIA 3 at 330am, together with Tin and Mommy Pat. Caitlin was amazed of the place. I immediately looked for the check-in counter for Legazpi and quickly found it. Caitlin simply stayed beside me and letting her eyes wander around. I think she was intimidated by the place, plus there were lots of people walking around. The picture above was taken while she was yawning. The picture on the right was taken on the check-in counter.

She was just trying to figure out where she was, I guess. It wasn't a problem traveling with her. She didn't even throw a tantrum, even though she lacks sleep. I ensured that she was always nearby and she never let her out of my eyes. Ironically, while I was checking our ticket (and she was just under me, behind the luggage trolley), she turned around and trip on the trolley wheel. She fell flat on her face. She cried for a few seconds, but after I took her on my arms, she stopped crying. That's my kid.
We were early, so I took time getting through the security check. I even took her shoes off, though, I am confident that the security won't ask me to. The boarding time was 520am (flight was 6am) so I decided to have a cup of coffee in Go Donuts. I let Caitlin sat on the chair (picture on the left) while I bought some donuts (orange juice for her). I was confident she wouldn't get out of her chair - she didnt. The only time she asked me to let her go down was after taking a few sip of juice. She started walking around, but not too far.

I realized that I need Caitlin to fall asleep in the plane. I was afraid that she might complain when the plane gains altitude due to pressure difference. Since she was getting more restless every minute, I let her run to the designated terminal. And when she was too far for comfort, I would just call her name and she would wait for me to catch up.

I was having fun looking at my daughter running, without tripping over. When we got to the terminal, I brought her near the window and showed her the plane we were going to take. After a while, she was pointing to our carry-on luggage and was saying "mon, mon" and pointing towards the plane. While waiting, she was wandering around the area, but not too far that I couldn't ask her to come back to where I was seated.

The picture at the bottom was taken while we were aloft. Caitlin was so tired running in the terminal that she just fell asleep on her seat. While the plane was being pushed back from the tarmac, she was still awake. While we were taxiing down the runway, she was keeling on her left side. So I put my arm to support her head, then positioned her knapsack on the same side.

Her position, for me, was uncomfortable so I just waited for the seat-belt sign to turn off. I took her out from her seat and put her on my arms. The lady beside me noticed that Caitlin has to fold her legs to fit on the 2 seats, she volunteered to transfer to the next row infront of me. I let Caitlin lie down on the 2 seats. But she woke up and immediately cried. Then I tried letting her head rest on my leg, it worked.



No comments: