Tuesday, December 15, 2009

[Caitlin Alone in her Seat - Never do it again]

Last December 13, a couple of hours we reached Tin's place, my father-in-law asked me to drive him to La Union, approx. 18 km north of Sorsogon city proper. It's one of the barangays of Castilla.

He had some transactions with a certain Pena, who is a copra dealer. He asked me if we could bring Caitlin with us, which I readily obliged. I was confident that Caitlin will behave while on the road. Papa didn't want to sit with Caitlin, instead he sat at the back. I find this acceptable since I already trained Caitlin to get used to wearing seat-belt in the front seat (this is not recommended, since there are car seats for kids that has the proper restraints).

I took Caitlin with me on the driver seat, then let her seat on the passenger, front seat. This way, she won't think that I was abandoning her (since Tin is not around, if she loses sight of me, she just cries). She didn't complain.

While on the car seat, she was trying to look outside the window. She's well behave and didn't complain. On our way to Castilla, she tried to sleep while we were getting nearer the place.

She was very quiet. Meanwhile, I was conversing with Papa about his family's history who came from the place, Rizal (a barangay up north of Capuy), we passed by.

He was telling me that after the war, his father and mother was buying and selling bandala (abaca fibers), copra and other agricultural stuff. But when the HUK was active in their place, members of Battalion Combat Team (BCT, Philippine Army unit during 1950s) would stay in their store. Thus, when the BCT left, his parents also left.

He also explained to me why it's difficult to be a copra dealer - it requires a lot of capital - or go straight and sell to the coconut oil refinery . You need tons of copra to deliver to the refinery consistently, which is quite difficult to source out.
Justify Full
I didn't know what his transaction in the area, but when he came back to the car, he had 3 bags of Chicos and bundle of sacks.

When we went back to Sorsogon, Caitlin fell asleep. She didn't wake up until I opened the front door.

The following day, I drove my uncle's CRV from Legazpi to Sorsogon - with Caitlin on board. When I agreed to drive Tita Margie going back to Sorsogon (after bringing Tita Lyds and Tito Vic, who drove to Legazpi airport), I forgot that KT's nanny won't show up until 6am. We planned to leave at 530am; and my mom couldn't be absent that time. Last minute, I decided to bring my daughter with me.

Going to Legazpi was easy, KT was with me in the back seat. She fell asleep easily. Getting back to Sorsogon was tricky. KT didn't want to stay with Tita Margie. So I was confident enough to let her sit on the front seat with seat belt on. After Cumadcad, a barangay of Catilla, KT's tantrum kicked in and started taking off her seat belt (she knows where to press the release button). I had to quickly look for a place to stop, which I did.

She just didn't want to go back to her seat and preferred to stay with me. I obliged and let her sit on my lap. I know this is unsafe, but that was the best choice I had; otherwise, I could have strapped her on the seat, but might have distracted me. She didn't interfere with my driving, unsuprisingly. But she fell asleep and simply slid between my legs into the floor. I had to step on the break slowly and look for a place to stop (going to Sorsogon, from Legazpi, is not a straight line between point A to point B, unlike travelling in Northern Luzon). This time, she agreed to go back to the passenger seat and fell asleep quickly. When I got off the SUV infront of our house, she was still asleep.

No comments: