Saturday, May 09, 2009

Bi-Lingual Kid

My wife and I wants to train Caitlin to be proficient in English, Bicol and in Filipino. Tonight, while we are playing with Caitlin, she responds correctly if we ask her to show her feet/tiil, eyes/mata, head/ulo, tummy/tiyan, teeth/ngipun.

I feel that she's more proficient in comprehending Bicol than Filipino since we speak the former at home and would speak in English from time to time. The funny thing is that Caitlin would pronounce English words with a strong accent learned from her nanny (who is also a Bicolano herself).

I can't blame her, it's the nanny who spends most of the time reading books with her. That can change since my wife just ended her residency.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

better teach her tagalog! otherwise she might end up like me during my first year of college. they always make fun of me and called me kris aquino due to my broken tagalog. half english and half figuring out if its tagalog or bicol. it was so embarassing!